Entries now open.
NCMC will be running its feature Veal carcase competition again in 2020. This competition saw great success in 2019 attracting over 200 vealers, it was a credit to our local producers who produced outstanding Vealers in very tough conditions.
This competition is designed to help producers improve their product through carcase assessment and feedback benchmarking and is another step in adapting the MSA grading system in the near future.
2020 Processing dates
- 1st – 21st April 2020
- 2nd – 19th May 2020.
Judging criteria will be based on:
- 6-8 head per lot entry
- Veal carcass weight ranges from 70-150kg HSCW. (Max live weight approx. 270kg)
- Ossification & Carcase Weight (Weight for Maturity); low ossification score accompanied by high carcase weight is ideal.
- Eye Muscle Area (EMA), indicating Saleable Meat Yield.
- MSA Marbling Score, influencing eating quality.
- Meat Colour & pH (a key indicator to Glycogen reserves verse pre-slaughter management practices)
Due to government health guidelines currently not allowing gatherings, most likely results and details will be released by email end of May.
Assistance can be provided by Member Services in the selection and weighing of calves on farm prior to consignment to ensure they suit the weight required.
Please register your interest by contacting Joe Leven 0427 108 861 or Gavin Bulmer NCMC Foods 0416-330-612, this will assist in scheduling numbers.