Handford’s back to back win.
Jenny Handford’s calf raring and feeding enterprise at Casino took top honours in this years NCMC Veal carcass comp with her Angus Hereford cross calves, placing first and second overall with two separate lots. Jenny has now claimed this title two years in a row and is already making plans for next years comp.
It was a challenging year for veal producers with much of the animals growth window being in the harsh conditions of 2019. Whilst conditions were far from ideal this did not compromise the quality of the veal entered in the comp with the high standard equaling previous years. Vealers travelled from as far as Walcha and Copmanhurst to enter the comp with local calves coming forward as well.
This competition provided producers the opportunity to collect valuable commercial carcass data which provides feedback on breeding and production decisions and supports the direction of future decisions in the herd. It also allows participants access to each others carcass results on completion of the competition to benchmark their carcass data calculating where they sit in the group and why.
NCMC would like to thank members who participated in this year’s comp, it was a real credit to all for presenting high quality vealers in such a challenging season.
First in individual categories
- Market Spec – 1st, Jenny Handford
- Lean Meat Yield – 1st, Adam Chapman
- Weight for Maturity – 1st, Joe Leven
- MSA Eating Quality – 1st, Jenny Handford
- 1st – Jenny Handford (Ang x Here) – 82.38 pts
- 2nd – Jenny handford (Ang x Here) – 82.05 pts
- 3rd – Joe Leven (Here/Brah x Here) – 81.61 pts
- 4th – Adam Chapman (Here/Bra x Char) – 79.76 pts
- 5th – Peter Lockyer (Here x Low Line) – 78.14 pts
Joe Leven – Member Services (M: 0427 108 861)